We have all been there. You overeat at a holiday or during a fun activity and tell yourself well I will just have to do an extra few miles at the gym or I have been really working out hard so I am going to treat myself to an extra cookie. I am here to tell you why that doesn’t work and what to do instead.
The truth is, flat abs are made in the kitchen and no amount of cardio and crunches can sculpt a fit physique if you maintain an unhealthy diet.
Even if you run around the block 2 times or you take a spin class, most people way underestimate the amount of food they are actually eating with the amount of exercise they are doing. You could never exercise hard or long enough to burn off those 3 slices of pizza and diet coke or that extra large bowl of pasta with that chocolate chip cookie.
The key to losing weight while exercising is to follow these 5 easy steps.
- Make sure you are eating balanced nutrition. Lean meats, healthy fats, lots of fiber, vitamins and minerals.
- Watch your portions – The magic plate is a great visual. 1/3 leafy greens, 1/3 lean, grass fed meats, 1/3 starchy veggie or slow burning carb, and 1-3 tablespoons of healthy fat.
- Drink enough water- water helps to lubricate all of your muscles, flushes glucose from your blood, keeps your blood sugar steady just to name a few. Try to drink .67 x your body weight daily.
- Get 6-8 hours of sleep a night. Sleep helps your body to heal and re-build. Getting the recommended amount of sleep will help with this.
- Be consistent- Consistency is the key to losing weight through diet and exercise. The more you do it, the more you will reap the benefits and lose weight.
So unless you live a healthy clean eating lifestyle combined with a regular exercise routine the body will not be able to maintain and lose weight. It takes both. Yes you can have a treat here and there however it needs to be just that, a treat and not an every day staple in your diet.
Health and Love,