Fertility massage is one of the oldest and best techniques to add to your fertility tool kit. Some of the benefits include improved reproductive health, menstrual health and boosted fertility coupled with the use of Castrol oil packs and you have one of the best kept secrets in the fertility world.
Doing a fertility massage on yourself is one of the cheapest and easiest things you can do to boost your fertility naturally.
Add these simple techniques to your morning or nightly routine for the best results.
Some of the benefits I have seen from my clients are:
- Increases circulation to the uterus, ovaries and cervix
- Strengthens the feedback loop by promoting hormonal balance
- Improves endocrine system communication
- Reduces stress and helps to lower your stress hormonal response.
- Promotes circulation so brings fresh blood to the uterus
- Helps to break up scar tissue
- Promotes a healthy endocrine system but balancing hormones
- Helps the body to rid of stagnant blood and tissues
- Promotes the liver to detox
- Encourages the uterus to reposition itself
There have been many prominent studies done on fertility massage. One of the most famous was done by Belinda Wurn (physical therapist) and her husband Larry Wurn (massage therapist) from 1998 to 2003 who concluded that manual soft-tissue therapy was shown to provide a wide array of benefits, but the main ones were boosting the woman’s fertility and reproductive organ function.
If you are experiencing any of the following, then this technique could be for you.
- Amenorrhea (no period for 1 year)
- Blocked Fallopian Tubes
- Blood Clots during menstruation
- Excessive Mensuration
- High FSH levels
- Hormonal Imbalances
- Ovarian Cysts
- Ovarian Failure
- Pain during ovulation
- PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome)
- Poor egg health
- Scar Tissue
- Tilted Uterus
- Stress from infertility
- Unexplained Infertility
- Uterine Fibroids
How can fertility massage help you?
There are many issues that this technique helps with continue reading to find out more-
- Unexplained Infertility – The best way to overcome this is to promote homeostasis in your body and in your life. This is done by focusing on creating a healthy body through diet and lifestyle, healthy mind through meditation and visualization and promotes balance of the endocrine system in general. Fertility massage increases circulation to the reproductive organs which helps to improve egg health by bringing fresh oxygenated, nutrient rich blood to the eggs. It also helps to relieve stress which is so important when TTC and can run high. When I was going through unexplained this became one of my daily rituals.
- Blocked Fallopian tubes – Many women come to me complaining of blocked fallopian tubes and if you go to your doctor they will usually suggest surgery but I want you to know that there are things you can do naturally to break up the scar tissue and create a path for the egg to meet the sperm. The reason this works is because it breaks up adhesions and helps the body rid itself of remaining scar tissue. Because you are massaging the fallopian tubes in addition to the uterus and ovaries, this is a great non-surgical way to clear these blockages.
- Endometriosis – This is a condition where endometrial tissue grows in other areas of the body such as the outside of the uterus, on the fallopian tubes or on the ovaries. When this happens scar tissue is created. This can cause these areas to be stuck together with this scar tissue and can also cause the tubes to twist. This technique helps to break up the adhesions, decrease inflammation and helps improve circulation which will rid the body of old blood.
- PCOS – (Poly cystic ovarian syndrome)– This is a hormonal syndrome; the ovaries may develop numerous small collections of fluid (follicles) and fail to regularly release eggs. This causes stagnation in the body. This syndrome causes imbalances in the body which can cause the body to not fully communicate in the feedback loop which will impede ovulation, menstruation, and cause the hormones to be out of balance. Massage will promote communication through hormones. It also helps to bring back circulation to the ovaries which will help to nourish and bring fresh blood to your ovaries and fallopian tubes. The best course of action for PCOS is fertility diet however massage is a close second.
- Cramps during menstruation – Do you get lots of cramping during your period? This is your bodies way of sounding an alarm and saying something is wrong. Are you listening? First ask yourself, why am I getting cramps? What is the underlying issue?
- Nutrient deficiencies
- A “cold uterus”- This is a term used in TCM (traditional Chinese medicine) which means the uterus is lacking proper circulation
- The uterus is contracting to expel old blood
- Scar tissue left from PID, Endo or surgery can cause pain because of the uterus contracting to rid itself of this.
- Tilted uterus
Fertility massage can help with cramps because it promotes circulation of blood to the reproductive organs creating a “warm uterus”, realigns a tilted and breaks up scar tissue and adhesion in order to improve uterine tone and function.
- Hormonal imbalance – During fertility or reproductive health in general you want a strong feedback loop (communication with the HPA axis) this will promote homeostasis in the body. Massage helps with circulation therefore helps promote hormonal balance because the body is communicating efficiently. You are also massaging the liver which helps with detox which will help to detox hormones during the luteal phase.
- Improves egg health – This works by improving circulation which in turn provides fresh oxygenated blood to the eggs to nourish and strengthen them. You will want to do this by eating nutrient dense foods and antioxidants which will protect the integrity of the egg.
- Stress – This is an issue I think we all experience but especially when trying to conceive. Fertility massage has been shown to encourage healthy relaxation, increase blood flow and encourage endorphin production and release. Many studies show that when the body is relaxed it releases oxytocin (love hormone) which is essential for conception and partner connection.
How does fertility massage work?
To understand how it works you have to understand female anatomy. We will be massaging your uterus, fallopian tubes, and ovaries as well as the stomach, liver, and intestines
Which areas of the body to massage?
Fallopian tubes – These tubes are attached to the sides of the uterus. Fertility massage can help clear blocked tubes from scar tissue or other obstructions.
Intestine Massage – This will help your body rid itself of toxins, help eliminate feces that may be stuck or impacted. Improves digestion and intestinal health which is important for fertility. Also if the intestines are feces-impacted this puts stress on the uterus, ovaries and fallopian tubes which we don’t want when TTC.
Liver – This improves the body’s natural detox mechanism which will help in detoxing toxins and excess hormones. This organ is located on the right side of the body just behind and below the bottom ribs.
Ovaries – These two are located at the base of the fallopian tubes and in front of the uterus. These two organs need fresh, oxygenated blood and this massage can provide them with that. It also provides nutrients and blood to the eggs inside the ovaries.
Stomach – During this massage you will also be massaging the stomach, intestines and liver. You might notice that the stomach becomes hard to the touch during the first few minutes and this is completely normal. You might be holding stress in your stomach and this will help release that as well as any gas or digestion issues. This is a great technique for improving the body’s natural detox capabilities.
Uterus – This is a great place to start. This organ is located behind the bladder in the bottom of the pelvic cavity. Massage helps the uterus that has become tilted, compressed by feces in the intestines, and/or suffers from lack of circulation.
Lack of circulation to the uterus can be caused by leading a sedentary lifestyle. This can also be caused by compromised or twisted tubes, tight fascia, inflammation, endometrial or scar tissue buildup, or past surgeries.
Cautions: You have to be careful when and how to do fertility massage. These are some basic guidelines.
- Don’t do while in your menstruation phase.
- Don’t do if you are pregnant or think you might be
- During your TTC time do it from the last day of your period through ovulation. You will know when you ovulate through tracking of temperature and CM or through OPK. Maybe all 3.
- Discontinue once you find out you are pregnant.
- If you have any underlying health issues, please consult your physician first.
Types of fertility massage
Choose the one that is best for you or try them all.
- Basic fertility massage – Fertility Massage How to video
- Chi Nei Tsang– This is an ancient form of organ massage and is used to clear blocked energy, tension and stress that accumulates in the organs. It also releases toxins, clears excessive heat and helps with heat deficiencies of the body such as a cold uterus. The basis of this TCM technique is to help the flow of chi or the body’s life force to travel smoothly through the entire body. If there is a block or health issue somewhere then it will help to clear it. This technique helps too clear that blockage so the chi can continue to flow and help the body to naturally heal itself.
- FEM – This technique was developed by PDtM massage director, Meredith Nathan created this massage protocol to help her clients to boost their fertility naturally. This is a 4-part massage which is meant to cleanse the body, enhance blood flow, open the breath and relax and de-stress the body and the reproductive organs. I won’t go into a ton of detail here however the 4 parts are, cleanse the body, enhance the blood, open the breath, and relax/integrate.
- MAM – Mayan abdominal massage- This is a non-invasive external abdominal technique to guide and reposition the internal abdominal organs for optimal health. The Mayan’s believe if these organs are out of balance this can cause menstrual irregularities, fibroids, endometriosis, polyps, headaches, depression, bladder infections, painful intercourse, irregular bowels movements and infertility. MAM How to video
- Castor Oil Therapy – Castor Oil Packs has been used for thousands of years as a healing therapy. Castor oil is extracted from the castor plant and is used externally on the lower abdomen. Castor oil packs are best used just prior to Fertility Massage.
Want to experience fertility massage for yourself? Decide on which technique suits you best. Choose a time and day for this practice and get started today. Work your hands in a circular motion around your belly button, a few inches deep and continue this rhythm for up to 30 minutes. You can also visit YouTube for some how-to videos. Here are some of my favorites.
Want to learn more, this is a great article from Healthline explaining the benefits and although there isn’t a ton of science behind this, I have seen it work. Read more here
This is one technique I teach in my 90 day program along with cycle optimizing, seed cycling, fertility nutrition and my hormone P.U.Z.Z.L.E method. If you want to learn more about working with a coach book a call, HERE. Let’s get you as fertile as possible so you can boost your fertility naturally. You got this momma!
Love and Health,