Did you know that fertility starts in the brain with your HPA axis – (Hypothalamus, Pituitary, Adrenal glands). The Hypothalamus also controls your stress response so whenever your brain is stressed, it stops all processes in the body including the ability to reproduce.
To get into a little more of the science piece, the HPA axis mediates the functions of the hypothalamic–adrenal–gonadal (HPG) axis, which is responsible for the maturation of the reproductive organs and the reproductive competence of an organism. The HPG axis controls the reproductive system through endocrine signaling, originating with the hypothalamic secretion of gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH). GnRH stimulates the cells of the pituitary gland to synthesize and release follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) and luteinizing hormone (LH). In turn, FSH and LH act on the ovary to regulate oocyte maturation, ovulation, and steroid hormone production.
If your mind is stressed and you are living in a constant fight or flight state your body will shut down these processes because it literally thinks it’s life is in danger and why would it bring in another life if it can’t sustain the one it has.
So how to you make sure you are living a stress free life that is calm and tranquil and is ripe and ready to conceive? Here are my 5 tips for how to make sure your mind and body are relaxed and ready for your new baby.
These tips are great to practice any time of your cycle but especially helpful during your luteal phase which is the 2 weeks before your period starts and after ovulation ends. During this time if you are actively trying to conceive that little embryo is trying to nestle inside your thickened uterine lining and so we want to make sure the environment is calm and relaxed and ready to receive.
- Practice visualization– Lie on your back and place your hands over your abdomen, and while breathing in and our nice and slowly visualize a baby cozily nestling up in the warmth and radiance of your child’s place (uterus). Try to spend 3-5 minutes lying still, breathing, and visualizing your child’s place growing a baby inside. Imagine what it would feel like. How happy and excited you would be, how much love you have to give, and how truly blessed you would feel. This is such a powerful tool and I encourage you to do it often especially in your luteal phase.
- Meditate– This is such a powerful tool for calming your mind and organizing your thoughts and feelings. So often we are used to doing. What can I do to get pregnant and that is such masculine energy. We need to focus on just being. Be in your feminine energy and focus on bring life into your womb.
- Sleep- Get to bed early and wake up late. My favorite time is bed by 9 pm and up by 7 am. I know that isn’t possible for everyone because of work schedules and prior commitments but making sure you are going to bed when the sun goes down and waking up when it starts to come up will set your body’s natural circadian rhythm and lower your stress response.
- Practicing I am statements. I find so many of my clients are so focused on what isn’t going well. This won’t work, that won’t work, this is never going to work, I am infertile. Whether they heard that from a doctor, coach, or friend. They have programmed their brains to believe they can’t get pregnant and this can actually block a potential pregnancy. Repeat after me, I am capable of getting pregnant naturally. I have the power to change my health and improve MY fertility. This is a powerful statement that can produce big results.
- Grounding- Grounding means being one with nature. Going for a walk, letting your feet touch the grass. This will allow your body to make certain feel-good hormones, dopamine, and serotonin, just to name a few. Which will help you to be calm and relaxed and one with nature.
As you can see there are many things you can do to make sure you have a fertile mindset which in turn can allow your body to do what it needs to do naturally which is create a healthy baby.
If you want help with any of these or if you want to see if working with a coach is your next best step in your fertility journey, whether you are trying naturally or through ART, let’s chat. Click here to book a call- www.calendly.com/kelahealthcoach
Love and Health,